It’s time to be demanding with your 2021 sunscreens and find formulations that do not pollute, capable of taking care of you, your skin and the environment. How? By choosing water resistant and biodegradable formulas, filters that do not damage corals and recyclable packs
You’ve probably heard it said a thousand times: by 2050, there may be more plastic than fish in the sea. That’s why, now more than ever, the oceans need to be protected, even from sunscreen that doesn’t pollute. In fact, every year tons of chemicals harmful to the environment end up in the sea, so much so that Hawaii and Palau – but also some areas of the Yucatàn in Mexico – have chosen to prohibit the use of polluting sun creams. This does not mean that you have to give up your favorite sunscreens or protect your skin, just that you have to pay attention and choose ones sun creams that do not pollute the oceans, based on a careful reading of the INCI and cosmetic labels. Only in this way can you prolong your tan and, at the same time, protect the corals, the seas, the Planet.
Sunscreens that do not pollute: everything they should NOT contain
The numbers are not very encouraging: currently, between 4,000 and 6,000 tons of sunscreen end up in the sea every year. A frightening and worrying figure, especially for the Reef and corals. Some chemical components of sunscreens, in fact, can affect the DNA of corals, bleaching them, preventing them from reproducing and interfering with the marine ecosystem in general. Which ones are under indictment? Oxybenzone (benzophenone 3, BP3), butylparaben, octinoxate, 4 methylbenzylidene camphor. These are filters that can protect the skin but cause immense damage to the environment. How to choose sunscreen, then? Preferring zinc oxide, titanium oxide and, in general, mineral or physical filters, decidedly more sustainable alternatives. A key feature even out of the water, then, is the format: sprays in particular, in fact, can deposit on the beach and damage its ecosystem.
Water Resistant formulas to protect the planet
To protect the oceans, formulations with non-water-soluble filters are required. Better known as water restistants, they are able to resist even in water, remaining on the skin and – consequently – not dispersing in the sea. A fundamental feature, which allows this type of solar to resist in water much more than a normal SPF. The sunscreens that do not pollute, then, generally have water-in-oil formulations and, therefore, a texture in cream or milk. Finally, for the protection of the planet to be complete, the ideal is to make sure that solar panels have a pack of recyclable plastic or FSC certified cardboard.
2021 sunscreens that do not pollute are biodegradable
One of the most important properties for non-polluting sun creams is the biodegradability of the formula. This kind of In fact, formulations can break down into simpler substances that are not harmful to the environment. Precisely for this reason, clean ingredients, enzymes and microorganisms that know how to favor the breakdown and reabsorption of the cream in water or ground cannot be missing. In this way, in fact, the sunscreens will no longer be a danger to the environment and you can apply the SPF without fear.
Sun creams that do not pollute the oceans, the best
– Hawaiian Tropic Mineral Skin Nourishing Milk is a lightly textured milk that melts on the skin without leaving any residue. Made up of 100% mineral filters, uses naturally derived zinc oxide to form a protective shield on the surface of the skin, acting as a barrier against UV rays. The entire line, then, is completely vegan, does not contain chemical filters and parabens, nor ingredients tested on animals.
– Developed for guarantee respect for marine biodiversity and reduce the damage caused to the planet’s fragile climatic balance, WATER SOUL uses formulations with a reduced concentration of filters and is very water resistant, to limit their dispersion and safeguard marine biodiversity. Furthermore, the packaging is made of recycled plastic.
– Dermasensitive sunscreens such as High Protection Sun Milk protect the skin from UVA, UVB and IR rays with a barrier capable of blocking the harmful effects of sun exposure. Thanks to GSC (Grape Stem Cell) SYSTEM – an innovative complex of active ingredients based on stem cell research plants from red grapes – the natural ability of cells to regenerate and repair themselves is stimulated, creating a screen capable of protecting them from the harmful effects of the sun’s rays. All while respecting the oceans.
– 50 years after launching its first sunscreen, Lancaster relaunches its range with “clean and Ocean friendly” formulas. By reducing the impact on the marine system, thanks to water-resistant and non-water-soluble formulas and giving up the most harmful filters and choosing minimalist and vegan formulas, Lancaster has created truly environmentally friendly sun creams, without neglecting optimal skin protection.
– The Lavera Sensitive Sun Spray SPF 30 gives a mineral protection suitable for sensitive skin, thanks to organic sunflower and organic coconut. The lightweight formula is water resistant and intensely moisturizing.
– Caudalie protects the face from antioxidants and, at the same time, the marine environment. The Anti-Wrinkle Face Sun Cream SPF30, for example, gives a luminous tan without giving up taking care of the sea thanks to the Ocean Friendly formula.
– Nuxe Sun products such as High Protection Light Fluid SPF 50 protect the skin and the environment by offering easily biodegradable formulations and unique and comfortable textures, enriched by a truly irresistible fragrance.
– The Invisible Solar Spray from Biotherm’s Water Lovers line a 99% biodegradable formula, composed of active ingredients of natural origin, sustainable and powerful to respect the skin and the Oceans. The credit is due to the combination of FPS filters, which preserve aquatic biodiversity.
– Clarins’ eco-responsible sun treatments combine a rapidly absorbed sensory texture a formulations that respect the life of corals, guaranteeing total protection to the skin and the Oceans.
– Thanks to the patented association of 4 non-ecotoxic filters, Klorane’s Sublime Solar Gel Cream is the perfect protection from UVA and UVB rays that does not endanger the health of the marine ecosystem.
– Capri SPF 15 is part of the Acqualaï line of non-polluting solar products. A line of broad spectrum sun creams with physical filters to ensure total protection to the skin and the ocean. The formulation with mineral filters, in fact, reflects the sun’s rays without polluting the environment.
– IN / SUN SPF 50+ Anti-age Sun Cream is Insìum’s Ocean Friendly sunscreen. The formula, in fact, contains sunscreens that respect coral reefs and tested to ensure skin protection without damaging the oceans. Water resistant, they include a complex of active ingredients capable of intensifying the tan.
– Bioearth SPF 30 Face Sun Cream is formulated with ingredients from organic farming and is enriched with aloe vera, Reishi mushroom extract and a natural complex of botanical active ingredients with antioxidant properties. Like all Bioearth Sun 2021 sun creams, moreover, is formulated in accordance with the laws of Hawaii, which prohibit the sale and use of solar products containing chemicals that are harmful to the environment.