There gel nail reconstruction it’s perfect for anyone who wants to have one resistant manicure that lasts for several weeks. Let’s understand how it works before deciding if it’s right for us or not.
Gel nails reconstruction: what it is
The gel nail reconstruction is a technique of elongation, but not only, nails very popular in recent years. It is a method that replaces the gel with the classic colored nail polish and in doing so the manicure becomes more durable and resistant. With the gel reconstruction it is not mandatory to lengthen the nail, the gel can also be applied only on our nails while maintaining a natural length.
The gel nail reconstruction kit
On the market we find many variations of kits for gel nail reconstruction, some super equipped, others less and with different price ranges. An essential kit must definitely contain one led lamp o UV that catalyzes (accelerates) the chemical reaction of the gel on the nails (the minimum power for professional lamps is 36 watts), but some kits also contain special gloves that protect the hands and leave only the nails uncovered. In addition to the lamp and ai classic manicure tools (limes, solvents, etc.) serve i specific brushes to spread the product e the gels. For a complete reconstruction you need the base gel, the sealing gel and the gels of the various colors chosen to spread between the base and the sealant.
Gel nail reconstruction techniques
Gel reconstruction can be done using two different stretching techniques: the first through the use of tips and the second through maps.
In the first case, the natural nails are lengthened using thin and resistant plastic prostheses, typ precisely, which are positioned at the end of our nail going to create an adhesion between the two as natural as possible.
In the second case, however, the elongation is carried out by hand by the professional using the gel and a disposable paper support, the map, which is placed under the free edge of our nail.
The difference between the two techniques is hardly noticeable in the final result. Usually, the tips are preferred in the case of lengthening very short nails, while the map is more convenient for small reconstructions, for nails already long enough, which only need small touch-ups.
Gel vs acrylic nail reconstruction
Acrylic, unlike gel nail reconstruction, it does not use the catalyst (i.e. the LED lamp) to harden the enamel but uses the mixture of two ingredients that harden upon contact with air. Through the acrylic, in fact, the nails are modeled using a powder polymer and a liquid monomer. This technique definitely requires more experience and more manual skills, but it is useful when the nails are too “small” for gel reconstruction.
Acrylic is a material more fragile and less elastic than the gel, which could be damaged more easily. To make it more resistant, a significant thickness is required which would make the final result unnatural.
Gel nail reconstruction tutorial
Making the DIY gel nails is not easy, it comes down to a technique that requires experience and dexterity. However, by purchasing an initial kit and participating in a professional course, with patience and dedication, it is possible to become an expert in reconstruction and recreate the perfect manicure even at home.
Below all the steps to create an excellent gel nail reconstruction.
- The first step is the removal of every trace of enamel with a solvent and proceed by roughening and opacifying the nail with the appropriate files. The cleaner and more opaque the nail will be, the more it will “absorb” subsequent products.
- After dulled the nail it is necessary to pass a cotton pad soaked in the specific liquid that dries and cleans the nail.
- At this point, if we have decided to apply a tip we have to make it adhere to the nail using a thin layer of glue. After applying it, you need to give the tip the desired shape and length, camouflaging the protrusions and making it as natural as possible.
- In case we had chosen a stretching with the map, after having placed it under our nail and having applied a light layer of primer, it is time to apply the base gel, giving the desired shape and length.
- In both cases it is essential to recreate the typical camber of the gel during the application of the base, and to remember catalyze each layer of product inside the led lamp.
- Finally, after having degreased the nail and having defined the curvature and shape with the files, it is time to color our nail, applying colored gels choosing between decorations and painting techniques.
- The last key product is the sealing gel, or the gel version of the classic top coat.